Exercising with OsteoarthritisJan 31, 2021
Exercising with Osteoarthritis
Lots of older New Zealanders have osteoarthritis (OA), a degenerative joint disease. Ongoing loss of cartilage causes joint pain and reduced range of motion. This often leads to physical disability and reduced quality of life.
Moving your body is really important if you have OA and has many benefits such as:
- Decreases swelling and pain.
- Helps maintain a healthy weight -this results in reducing pressure on your joints and improves cartilage and bone tissue health.
- Improves overall joint function and mobility.
The key is to stay active! So best to choose activities you enjoy.
Both aerobic and strength exercises can help people with OA.
Let’s talk about getting started.
Here are some points to consider to help your journey be successful.
- Talk with your doctor before you start an exercise programme. Ask about any changes to your medications or concerns in becoming active.
- Select low-impact and non-impact activities such as SuperCue. Walking, swimming, water exercise and cycling are also good choices.
- Ensure you warm-up and gradually cool down to help you avoid additional joint pain. All SuperCue routines provide suitable warm-up and cool downs so make sure you follow the routines to the end.
- Divide your activity into many short sessions during the day. Try three 10-minute sessions to start or an Express Session approx. 20mins
- Set goals by time.
- Start slowly. Over time, increase the intensity and length of your workouts. Take frequent breaks as needed or rest. Adjust your workouts based on your symptoms.
- Start by exercising on your own, so that you can go at your own pace – later invite others to join you.
- Select shoes and insoles that absorb shock.
- Remember consistency will offer the most benefit.
If you have any questions or concerns, contact the SuperCue team. We are happy to help so that you can get the most out of our programmes.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.